- Have a garage sale. Get rid of everything you don’t need before you move.
- Get organized now. Don’t wait until the last minute. Make list of things you need to do and when.
- Make sure you are ready for the packers and movers. Don’t forget to do the laundry, wash the dishes, pack your suitcases, disconnect computers, stereos and VCRs.
- Set aside those items that you will be taking with you and clearly mark them as Do Not Pack.
- Arrange to close your accounts at your local bank and opens accounts in your new hometown.
- Obtain a change-of-address kit from your post office or go to https://moversguide.usps.com
- Drain the gas and oil from all your power equipment (lawnmower, edger, etc.)
- Schedule house cleaning and other home services for the day after loading.
- Have your utilities shut off the day after loading (gas, electric, telephone, etc)
- Make your travel arrangements for the day after loading. In case of weather delays or other unforeseen problems, you wouldn’t want to miss a flight or other travel related appointment.
- Before the moving truck leaves for your destination, give the driver your phone numbers where you can be reached. It is also a good idea to get the driver’s cell phone number.
- Be aware of items that can’t be moved with the mover.
These items include:
- Flammable Items
- Combustible Items
- Aerosol cans
- Hazardous Materials
- Ammunitions and Explosives
- Legal Documents (wills, financial papers, insurance documents, etc.)
Preparing For The Move
And of course call us to schedule your box delivery. It is easy and fast. It also will shave time off your chore list when you get to your new home! Just call and we will pick them up!